We’re bringing you a real show stopper with our roast beef with bearnaise sauce. It’s the perfect dish to wow your guests. Whip up the sauce while the beef is roasting. Bernaise is a classic French sauce that pairs perfectly with red meat.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 60-75 mins
For the Beef:
Pure South Whole Beef Rib Eye (approx 1.5kg)
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 Thyme & Rosemary sprigs
Handful of Sage
Avocado oil infused with rosemary
Zest of 1 orange & lemon
Coarse Sea Salt & Black Pepper
For the Bernaise Sauce:
150g salted butter, cubed
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup white wine (optional)
½ cup shallots, thinly sliced
1 ¼ cups tarragon, roughly chopped
½ tsp black peppercorns
3 egg yolks
- For the Beef: Preheat oven to 200C.
- Tie rib eye with string at 5cm intervals. Rub with garlic, orange zest and avocado oil. BBQ or sear on a high heat until browned all over.
- Once seared, tuck thyme, rosemary and sage underneath the strings. Season with salt and pepper, then place on a roasting dish.
- Roast for 60 mins for rare, 75 mins for medium rare or 90 mins for well done. Cover with foil and let rest for 20 mins before carving.
- For the Bernaise Sauce: Add fresh chopped tarragon, the black peppercorns, white wine vinegar, water, white wine(if using) and shallots to a saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Turn down to medium low heat and reduce liquids down to 3 tbsp, about 15 mins. Strain, keeping the liquid, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave until bubbling. Wait for a minute for the butter to “clarify”, meaning the milk solids separate from the golden butter liquid.
- In a food processor, blitz the egg yolks and hot vinegar mixture and blitz for 1 minute. Slowly drizzle in the hot clarified butter while the food processor is on full speed. Once all the clarified butter is added, keep blitzing for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve roast beef with bearnaise sauce. Divine.